As I get no response from yet another publisher I can’t help wondering if I’m going down the right route for me.
I started writing not thinking about publishing. As time progressed I started considering self-publishing. I then changed my mind and went down the traditional publishing route.
I’m now at the stage where I’m tired of waiting for a professional publisher to tell me my writing is good enough to be published. So what can I do?
I think it’s time I weigh up the pros and cons of publishing.
If you ask a traditionally published author nine times out of ten they will tell you that’s the route you should take. But is it the right one for me?
Okay, so what happens if I stick with the traditional route?
- No outlay for me.
- Can get me into shops I couldn’t on my own.
- Publishers will edit and proofread.
- Publisher will pay for cover art
- A bit of help with marketing.
- It can take up to six months to hear back from each publisher, if I hear back at all.
- If a publisher does finally like my work it can be up to another year before my book is on the market.
- I don’t have much say on the cover art.
- Publishers might have different views on editing to me.
- I’d only get 10-25% in royalties.
- Publishers have control over where my books sold.
Right, I think I’ve covered all the points for traditional publishing so let’s look at self-publishing.
- Could have my book Published within a month.
- Total control over cover art.
- I get 70% royalties.
- I get total say in where my book is sold.
- I have to pay for editing and proofreading.
- I have to pay for cover art.
- Need to do all my own marketing.
Okay, that’s all the points I’ve thought of, now I just need to decide what’s right for me.
I read an article once that said if you feel the need to have someone confirm your writing is good enough, you belong on the traditional route. I don’t think I feel that need. I don’t need a professional to tell me I’m good enough. I’m writing because I like doing it and now I just want to share what I enjoy.
If anyone can think of anything that might help me make a final decision please leave a comment and let me know because at the moment I’m totally stumped.